Tuesday, November 27, 2007

(The Narrator)

I preferred to remain anonymous in my time within The Heart of Darkness. I was one of five characters on the boat listening to Marlow while he retold his lengthy tale. My shipmates were the Director of Companies, the Manager, the Lawyer, and Marlow himself. My exact purpose is undefined, besides my short commentary, what do I represent? In my initial observations I personify the river Thames, and discuss how it has conveyed men to both greatness and death. I may appear as though I am passively absorbing Marlow's experience, however, I am also making small judgments along the way...
Although the reader has no idea who I am beyond the world of the ship, he or she knows me and the way I think best. After all, readers are hearing the story through my ears, aren't they?

as always,
the narrator

No comments: